2012年12月1日土曜日

七五三!

  Today we finally celebrated my host brother's shichi-go-san! Basically shichi-go-san is a coming of age celebration for when girls turn 3 and 7 and boys turn 3 and 5. Usually the shichi-go-san ceremonies are held earlier in the month, but since my host brother was sick then we didn't get to do it then. But anyway, after breakfast, my host mom and I headed out first to go to the kimono rental place in Roppongi. The shop is located in a small apartment room down a random side street. When we got there, there was a little american girl getting her hair done/putting on a kimono (I'm assuming she was doing 7-5-3 as well). It was kinda funny because the mom kept saying "stay still, look at mommy" over and over again as she tried to take pictures.
   While my host mom was getting her kimono put on (I'll go more into the process of that in a bit), I had my hair done. The hair stylist was surprised to learn my curls were natural (lol). But anyway, she did a really great job! My hair was put up with some braids (and a ton of hair pins) and two flower hair ornaments were used as well (which are my host mother's). Here's some pictures!





After hair was done, it was my turn to put on a kimono. First I put on a thin white robeish thing, and white tabi (socks). Then two of the workers (I don't think a kimono can be put on with just one helper), wrapped some cloth ties around me. And then there were two towelish things by my chest. And then some more ties. And then a white silk robe. And then some more ties, some with padding. And then the kimono was put on. And then another tie. And then the kimono was adjusted and a pink cloth thing put by the neck area.. And then the obi went on (the obi was apparently a bit short (it was my host dad's mom's) so it took them a bit longer to get me dressed, but the figured out a way to arrange it). After the obi, there was another sash thing under it. And then there was another tie on top of the obi. I think I got most everything!



 Next my host brother arrived and got his hakama and kimono put on (which took a significantly less amount of time). After that the three of us walked to a nearby photo studio. It was a bit embarrassing to walk the streets in a kimono (and I just realized I forgot to take a picture of the shoes I was wearing! T_T), but at the same time it was really fun! My host dad, his dad, and my host mom's parents met us there. It made me really happy that they let me be in their family photo! I can't wait to see the finished product!~



Next we walked to Roppongi Hills to eat lunch. Suddenly the weather took a turn for the worst. It started raining a bit, and there were really strong winds! It was so tough being in a kimono (and so cold!). Thankfully we made it to the restaurant in one piece. The food was really good (it was the same restaurant we went to when we were originally supposed to have the ceremony), but it was kind hard to eat a lot since the kimono was a bit confining (had to wait to go to the bathroom until after I changed). I kept looking at myself in the mirrors while we were eating; it was so weird to see me in a kimono, but I really liked it! And everyone kept telling me how it suited me. My host mom and host brother looked really amazing as well!




 After eating we took a taxi to a shrine in our neighborhood. The weather had cleared up thankfully, but it was still a bit cold. At the shrine we went inside the main building and from there we went into the actual shrine area. At shrines, usually there is an area to make an offering and ring a bell. From there you can see inside the shrine where there is usually a mirror, offerings, etc., and this is the area where ceremonies are held so you usually don't get to go inside. So it was really interesting to actually get to go inside! First we cleansed our hands with water, and then went inside. I sat on the floor level with the grandparents while my host mom, host dad, and host brother sat on the raised section where there was an offering table, etc. The inside was so beautiful; there were a lot of significant looking things (though I have no idea if they were actually significant or not). Since it is a holy place, I couldn't take pictures sadly.
 But anyway, the shrine head priestess (usually a man performs the ceremony), started off by banging a drum a few times. Then she walked to the offering area and said a prayer. Throughout the ceremony we would have to stand and bow a certain parts. At one point she waved a wooden stick with paperlike streamers on it over our heads for a blessing (or something). Then she said another prayer (I think). After that she gave all of us a branch with leaves and a paper folded around it and we had to take it to the alter and make an offering one by one. After that the ceremony was pretty much done. I wish I could be more detailed about what happened, but since I'm not even sure exactly was happened, its hard to explain. We all took a sip of sake on the way out and then went to the outside area of the shrine.


My face is awkward but the rest is pretty
 Outside a professional photographer was waiting for us (my host parents rented one for the occasion haha). We took some group pictures and individual ones (I can't wait to see mine). Since there was a professional, I wasn't able to take as many pictures with my camera, but maybe I'll take pictures of the pictures we get haha. Also it was kinda funny because my host mom asked him to follow us home (since we had him for an hour), but it was a bit awkward since when we got home all the men just started drinking and eating and the photographer just looked awkward lololol. But after some more pictures I was finally able to take of the kimono and go to the bathroom. A part of me didn't want to take it off because it was so pretty, and I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to wear one is. Here's all I was wearing, but this picture does not do the amount I was wearing justice.


3 件のコメント:

  1. You look extra BEAUTIFUL! : ) You are always beautiful naturally.

    返信削除
  2. So pretty!! Do you get to keep the kimono? It looks great on you!
    Are kimonos worn only during ceremonies, or do people wear them at any other times, maybe outside of Tokyo? I'm just curious because here in the US we always associate Japanese with kimonos, but I have never seen a lot of modern Japanese in kimonos

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Thanks!! No, the kimono was a rental, but it was a lot of fun wearing it!
      Kimonos are mainly only worn for ceremonies, but people can pretty much wear them whenever they want to if they own one. It's not that common, but sometimes I see people in kimono walking the streets or on the trains. Sometimes people might wear them for practicing tea ceremony, or some other traditional craft, but I'm not sure how common that is.
      I think it's more common for people to wear yukata, a summer version of the kimono, during festivals. They are less expensive than a kimono and simpler to put on I believe :)

      削除