2012年10月15日月曜日

Exploring Tokyo and More!

Thursday was a long but amazing day. My morning was free so I ate lunch with friends, hung out in the niji lounge, and took it easy (I've already forgotten the specifics haha). I had my Exploring Tokyo class Thursday, and for the first time we actually explored Tokyo! I have to journal for the class (which I will be posting in a different blog) so I'm just going to copy and paste what I write there here:

Thursday I visited the Imperial Palace grounds and the Marunouchi area with my group for Exploring Tokyo. My group has a lot of interesting people in it, and we all got along pretty well, which made the trip even more fun. There are about nine of us altogether, though a few people were missing. Some of my group members are foreign exchange students for a year, like myself, some are studying abroad for four years from various countries, and a couple are from Japan. Throughout the trip we got to know each other a bit better, and I look forward to getting to know my group members even more.

The first thing I noticed after taking the crowded Tozai line to the Takebashi station was the inner moat surrounding the palace grounds. The water was calm and came right up to the huge stone wall that also surrounds the palace grounds. After walking through the palace gates we were confronted by another stone wall encasing a hill. My group stopped by this wall for a bit to take in how big both the stones (which seemed bigger than the stones used in the outside wall) and the wall itself was. One member of my group said the rocks were placed in such a way that they were earthquake proof and had no mortar or any connecting substance between them. I'm not sure, however, if what he said is true or not. I am curious to know how old the stones are however.




On the short way to the Tenshudai (the remains of the castle tower), we noticed an odd looking building to the left. None of us knew what the building was, what it was used for, or if people could enter inside. The architecture was really interesting and there were mosaic murals on part of the building. Here's a picture:



After looking at the map again, this building is supposedly the Tokagakudo Music Hall. I wouldn't have guessed that.

On the way to the Tenshudai we also noticed the huge grassy area in the middle of the grounds. A couple of people were laying down on blankets, or just relaxing in the afternoon sun. The palace grounds seem like a nice place to come to relax, which I assume is a big reason why most people go there. Although of course people go there to learn or experience the history of the grounds as well. Many groups from class were at the top of the Tenshudai; not a whole lot of other people were there. A couple of old ladies were just sitting on the benches there. One looked like she was about to doze off. The top wasn't too high, but we could see how huge the grounds really are. I wonder how much work it takes to maintain the area. Many trees surround the grassy lawn, and beyond the trees were the buildings of the Marunouchi and surrounding areas. Sounds of birds, bugs, and city life all mixed together.

Next my group went to the Higashi Gyoen aka the East Garden. We got a bit lost on the way, since we ended up just following other groups around, but after looking at a map we all found the garden. I thought the garden was really beautiful and peaceful. There were many different types of trees around the pond (which had koi fish in it), and I think there was also an area for irises to grow. The sun was starting to set, and while exploring the garden I forgot there was a city behind the barrier of trees. Of course I would be reminded of that fact when I would hear a car horn, etc. After climbing up some stairs to reach a waterfall, you could really see a great view of the garden below. I really love Japanese gardens, and although this garden wasn't necessarily extravagant, it was beautiful.



There was a light post that I saw on the way out of the grounds that I'm sure must have some sort of significance since it was there and had a sign next to it. I couldn't read any of the kanji on the sign, but I'm assuming it must be a remnant of some era.



Here's a picture of my group by the way!



While leaving the palace grounds from the Otemon gate, it was interesting to note how it felt like there were two different worlds right next to each other with the grounds on the left and the city on the right. Outside the palace grounds there were a lot of people running. I've heard that the area was a popular place for runners, so I guess it is true.

Next we walked to the Wadakura Fountain Park where we rested for a bit. I've noticed in Japan that some parks have a of of concrete in theme. I guess that makes sense for a water fountain park, but usually when I picture a park I think of green grass and trees. Anyway, the water fountains were pretty interesting. There was one main fountain to the right of the park, and a smaller sphere fountain to the right. There was also a restaurant in the park as well. A couple of people were outside taking pictures of the water fountains, but other than that it was pretty empty. I wonder what the history behind the park is. I probably wouldn't have stopped there if I was on my own, but it was a nice little park.

On Hibiya dori we got to see the Tokyo Ginko Kyokai Building which had a brick styled bottom and a concrete top, which is reminiscent of the area during the Meiji period. I'm not sure how else to describe it, here's a picture:



This building definitely stood out against the rest of the buildings there. The Marunouchi area was once referred to as the "London Block" during the Meiji area since the model for the area was once the "financial district of London" (Mansfield 104). Although back then the are was thought as "a forlorn and lonely place" I definitely did not get that feeling of the current Marunouchi area (Mansfield 104). I felt like the area was really nice. There were trees up and down the clean streets, many brand name shops were located there, and the various bench art there was nice as well. Overall the main street we walked down seemed peaceful in comparison to other areas of Tokyo. There are many areas in Tokyo with upper class shopping areas, Ginza comes to mind, but to me the Marunouchi area seemed a bit more comfortable than those areas.
We also stopped by the Marunouchi Brick Square (more brick usage) where there were more cute shops, cafes, a little garden area, and well dressed people. Compared to the Japanese feel of the Imperial Grounds, the brick square had a very different feeling. The brick buildings definitely give off a more European vibe. It seemed like a really nice area, and I'd like to go back sometime to explore the shops more.

My group had a little bonding experience when we were trying to visit the Mitsubishi Ichigokan building where free archives are located. We climbed a small set of stairs to go to where we thought the entrance of the archives was. Then we ended up going into an elevator since we thought we had to. After a minute or two the doors open to the brick square area again. We literally moved three feet down from where we were. This was pretty hilarious to us all, since we thought we would end up at the archives and also since the elevator ride seemed to take a long time for the amount of space we moved.

Anyway after checking out the archives quickly, we headed to Tokyo Station. Out of all the places we visited that day, I think that the Tokyo Station was the place that most surprised me. The outside looks just like it did when it opened in 1914. No other station or building that I've been to in Tokyo looks like Tokyo Station. People gathered around the station to get pictures of the building. Apparently the station was under construction for five years and was just recently finished. Here I encountered the familiar crowded hustle and bustle of people moving around, getting from one place to another. Tokyo Station really is amazing. I wonder how Japanese people view the station since the outside appears so different from other buildings in Tokyo. I think that the stations height and width surprised me as well since most of the buildings here are tall, not wide.
Inside the station was a dome area with beautiful architecture as well. Many people were stopping to take pictures here too. Beneath the ground level of the station are various themed "streets" such as Kitchen street and Character street. It's amazing how many shops are located there. I checked out the character street with a friend and had trouble not buying all the incredibly cute things I saw.




After parting with the group I meet a friend (who is also in that class) and we explored Tokyo station a bit more and then headed to Shinjuku to go to a friend's birthday party. Since we had class we were a bit late. We also had some trouble finding the people who came to pick us up (Shinjuku station is huge). But eventually we made it to the karaoke place. I was surprised at how cheap it was for one hour (only 300 yen and you got unlimited free drinks!), but since it was a week day night the prices are cheaper. Karaoke was amazing. There was about 12 people there (mostly made up of people from my program) and we all sang and danced our hearts out. The My Little Mermaid songs were especially fun. From now on I'm definitely going to karaoke on weekdays.





The fun continued at a nearby game center where we ended up fitting way too many people into one purikura booth. Purikura is basically a photo booth  but you can add all these effects to the pictures before and after (such as making your skin lighter and eyes bigger, etc.). I also tried to play a random game there with a friend with had 22 levels (we only made it to like the 5th one haha). Surprisingly I didn't feel too tired after such a long day, but I guess my exhaustion built up and hit me the next day.

I really enjoy not having classes on Fridays. I made lunch plans with a friend though, so I ended up going to school anyway. I haven't had much one-on-one time with any of my Japanese friends here, so I was glad to have lunch with my friend who is one of our program helpers. We went to a ramen shop about 5 minutes away from campus (I should really pay more attention to the names of the restaurants I eat at, but I honestly have no idea what the name is...), which was delicious. I feel pretty comfortable around her, and I think she feels the same since she tells me she talks to me the same way she talks to her Japanese friends. My ability to understand spoken Japanese is much better than my ability to convey what I want to say, so I can usually understand what she says. After ramen we got some ice-cream and sat down in the garden at school. We talked for a long time about random things. I learned that she studied abroad in America for a year during high school in New Buffalo, Michigan, which I have been to many times. She has been to the South Bend mall multiple times, which is just crazy. I mean, what are the odds of meeting someone who studied abroad close to your hometown? I was so surprised when she told me that! Seriously, what a small world.

I went to the lounge after that, since she had class to go to, and played some card games and meet other members. I started feeling really tired around then, which I guess is normal for me, so I went home. My host parents were still working so I ate at this Chinese restaurant super close to the apartment I live in with mom's mom and little brother. I've been wanting to try it out, so I was glad we ate there. I got almond chicken or something, and it was super good, but after that I just couldn't stay awake anymore. So I went to bed at 7pm.

I still felt tired Saturday but got up early (and skipped class) to go to my little brother's sports festival! My host parents were a bit worried, since I went to bed before they even got home Friday night, and they bought me a medicine/drink that people take when they are tired. I don't know if it actually worked or not, but it had lots of vitamins in it so I guess it was good for me. It was a liquid medicine, and it tasted a bit weird but it wasn't bad.
Anyway, the sports festival was so cute! There were a lot of different events, some for certain age groups and some for all of the kids. Parents and grandparents had their own events too. I even got to participate in a dance to the Ponyo theme song with my little host brother! I'm really glad I was able to go. When we got home I ended up napping for a bit (everyone napped except for my host brother who actually exerted energy that day haha). When everyone was up we went to a Thai restaurant (my first Thai food in Japan) in the Omotesando hills area. The food was pretty good (although it took forever to come). I really enjoyed the pad thai there, although it tasted a bit more peanut buttery than pad that I've had in the past. And the Omotesando area is really amazing. There are brand stores everywhere and a lot of young, fashionable people come to that area to shop. The walk home after dinner was great. The air was fresh, and the shops were interesting to look at. I really got lucky with my host family and the area we live in. Within less than 15 minutes I can walk to Yoyogi Park, the Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, Omotesando, and the shops around my apartment building. It's seriously the best. At home I watched some of Iron Man 2 (dubbed, hilarious) with my host dad and then went to bed early.





Today I feel pretty much normal, although still a bit tired. I've been trying to study, though I'm not being productive as I should be. I went to lunch at a place called Freshness Burger nearby. It was my first time eating lunch alone (my host parents are working). It was kinda awkward and the food was overpriced, but it was pretty yummy. I'm not sure if I'll eat there again (just because they only really serve hamburgers and I don't get the craving for hamburgers that often. Also, burger come in a stupid plastic wrapping paper that you are supposed to hold the burger in while you eat it and it's just super annoying since the paper just gets in the way), but I'm glad I got to cross one of the places I want to go to in my neighborhood of my list. So yeah!

4 件のコメント:

  1. That's so crazy about your friend living in New Buffalo! Seriously, what a small world!
    What is that picture with the giant bouncy balls? lol
    I love your posts! I hope you are feeling better soon!
    <3

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Right? It's so crazy!
      The giant bouncy balls were...well basically big balls that the kids had to push back and forth haha.
      I'm feeling a lot better now thankfully!
      <3

      削除
  2. As I read your blog, I realize that I am slowly going insane due to being on campus. So continue to have lots of fun and don't be weirded out that I am indirectly living out my life through your blog. Miss you.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Please continue to indirectly live through me so you don't go insane!! lol. Miss you too.

      削除