2012年9月18日火曜日

More Orientation, Food, and Embarrassment

After trying to hectically figure out what classes to take last night, I was pretty tired when I woke up. Most of the group separated to go on field trips today, I had a scholarship meeting to go to. Although I would have liked to go on one of those trips (especially with Team members), the scholarship session was important (and I'm really glad/thankful I got this scholarship). After the meeting I was able to go on a shorter field trip with the three other people in my program who got the scholarship. One of the Japan Study Associates (who works at Earlham) joined us for this. It was nice to see her, and she told us a lot of useful information.
To be honest I was sorta in a bad mood for most of our trip. I was tired/hungry and not as patient as I can be. Also, most Japanese people are quieter in public, so when people in my group are loud it just annoys me a bit. I know it really shouldn't make me annoyed (and it's not like people stare at us, at least not more than usual), but it just feels rude. Also it gives me a headache. And I really do like most everyone on my program, but I have gotten closer and connected with a certain group of people, so it would have been nice to be with them.
On a quick side note, out Resident Director here has mentioned to us multiple times about being aware of non-verbal cues and contexts. Although they are hard to keep track of, and sometimes hard to catch, I've tried to pay more attention to them. I noticed there is one Waseda student assistant with us that I'm closer with (we have around 4 or so). She's super friendly, and I've gotten to talk to her and hang out with her a bit. We haven't spent too much time together, but I noticed today (and a few days ago as well) at one point while we were walking or talking she put her arm around my shoulder in like a friendly hug gesture or she will touch my hand. I haven't seen her or anyone really touch too many people (there isn't much physical contact here, though I may not of noticed it), so it made me feel happy that she felt comfortable enough to do that. Of course she could be trying extra hard to be friendly, but still it was a nice gesture.

Anyway, we were supposed to be going to a garden in Shinjuku (which I was excited about) but it was closed since yesterday was a holiday. So instead we walked around instead a department store area that was underground. There were so many food shops, and some were pretty expensive, but I was able to get an onigiri and a nikuman (my first) for pretty cheap! I need to start spending less though, since my scholarship money won't kick in until late October.

I also saw the first homeless people I have seen in Japan in Shinjuku. One was selling a magazine (I can't remember the name) that apparently homeless people sell to make money. In order to have a job in Japan you need an address, and since they don't have one they are able to see a certain magazine. I don't know much about it, but I'll have to look into more. Obviously there are homeless people in Tokyo, but they are not as visible as they are in Chicago or New York.

After taking a new route back, and walking a bit, we had our SILS Academic Orientation today. I wanted to fall asleep during it since I was so tired (still not over jet lag yet), but there was a lot of important information they went over. There are so many things I need to do by certain dates, and it's a bit overwhelming to keep track of it. When I'm not doing orientation things I'm exploring/hanging out when friends, and by the time I return to my room for the night (10 depending on what I was doing), I just want to sleep.

Me and two other Team members went out to eat in Ikebukuro. We found this smaller ramen shop and ate there. I think it was a special type of ramen (I couldn't read the Kanji so i'm not sure) but it was delicious! I wish I would have taken a picture! And I really like restaurants that have a machine in front, with pictures of the food they serve, where you buy a food ticket and give it to a worker. It's super convenient (as are many things here). After that we walked towards Starbucks, and stopped in on a pet shop on the way, SO CUTE!, to observe people there for an hour or so in order to write a paper that we need to. I didn't buy anything since I was so full, but it was interesting to note certain things. I haven't written the paper yet, but I might post some of it here when I do. We also stopped by a department store where I bought a really nice handkerchief. I didn't really need it, and it was 1,050 yen, but I thought it was beautiful and would be a good investment, and just really wanted it so I bought it. There were so many cute things there: clothes, bags, shoes, hair things, wallets, etc. And most of it was expensive. But so cute. I can't wait for scholarship money haha.

Oh and something somewhat awkward happened today. I forgot/didn't notice the maids were cleaning today, and I left out a lot of dirty clothes, etc., and had my big suitcase on the bed. When I came back before dinner I noticed that the bed was made, and my suitcase was in the exact same spot. The maid moved my 40 pound suitcase on the ground, did the bed, then moved it to the same spot it was in the same position it was it. Then I noticed the bathroom where the maid neatly arranged all my belongings I had left messily on the counter. I was a bit embarrassed. I would have straightened up a bit if I knew they were cleaning today, but I just forgot. It's so crazy nice how she arranged everything in a cute, neat way. Like on the one had it's a bit weird, since that would never happen in America, and people would freak about someone touching their stuff. But I didn't feel weird about it, I just felt like I made her do more than she had to. I still feel a bit bad about it....but it's not like anything would ever be stolen. We literally saw a man asleep in front of the train station with his cell phone on his side untouched. We all agreed that if it we were in America, someone would have stolen his phone by then.

Well I hope that was a bit more of an in depth post. I still have a lot to do before bed, so until next time!

2 件のコメント:

  1. AAAAH I am so jealous of your ramen experiences!
    I would feel the same way about loud people. I get annoyed when the people I am with are being loud and everyone around us is quiet. That's just one of those cultural things that you are all going to have to adjust to.
    And don't feel bad about the housekeeper cleaning up your stuff. I'm sure s/he's had to deal with a lot dirtier people than you, and it's probably all part of the job description. If you feel really bad about it, leave her a tip and a candy bar lol

    返信削除
  2. Good suggestion about the tip Nicole. It is true about people being loud. I especially notice it more now that I have spent more time alone, that and people who never quit talking. But I know I have been that way at times, so, yes, patience/understanding is required. It is always good to respect the culture of where you are living : )

    返信削除