2012年9月23日日曜日

Host Family

Saturday the last of my luggage was delivered to my house family. I wish I didn't pack my umbrella away since it's been raining the last two days, but oh well. At Waseda a couple of Team members and I went to check out the student club/circle fair that was going on. We were approached by various clubs and given fliers, but none of the clubs we actually wanted to join were there. Apparently Waseda has 3,000 clubs/circles. I've Niji no Kai since it seems a lot of fun and because I want to continue hanging out with the members I've already met. I'd also like to join maybe a nature club or the salsa club here, but I need to do more research first.

We were supposed to get our cell phone yesterday, but since our residence card doesn't have our address on it yet, we won't get them till Tuesday. We were all disappointed, but oh well. I'm going to get a pink smart phone though! The program set up a pretty good deal for us which is nice since it would have been really hard to get one on my own.

Saturday was also the SILS opening ceremony. Everyone dressed up and we all sat in a nice auditorium for only an hour. I really enjoyed the dean's speech. I honestly can't remember it all now (it was about patriotism and nationalism and how you have to accept/love all places and realize every country has there own problems and have made mistakes, etc.) but I remember I liked it for the most part. There was also a really good jazzy acapella group there too!



That night there was a festival (fukuro matsuri aka owl festival) in Ikebukuro. It also happened to be our last night in the hotel. We went to the festival, meet some new Niji no Kai members, I tried yakitori, and then we went to dinner. The festival was pretty crowded, and people were hungry so we didn't stay that long. It would've been nice to stay longer, but there will be plenty more festivals to go to. For dinner we at at a family restaurant called Johnathon's or something. I had curry udon which was pretty good, and was able to chat in some Japanese (it was me, B, and 4 NNK guys). After dinner we returned to the hotel and had a room nomikai again. We played both American and Japanese drinking games. It was so much fun playing kings. We started at around 8 and I didn't go to bed around 1:30ish. It seems like alcohol definitely makes Japanese people more comfortable/relaxed from what I've seen.


After checking out today we went to Waseda for more orientation stuff. Today was the day everyone was meeting their host families, so we were all nervous. Most families came to Waseda around 2. But since mine had plans, I got to meet them at the station at 4. It was so exciting getting to watch people meet their host families. The host families were all different (though most of them seemed on the older side). One of my friends had a retired couple as their family and another had a younger couple with a one year old kid! It was sad seeing everyone leave, but I'm definitely going to keep in touch with them!

In some ways I was lucky that I didn't meet my host family till later. I was able to hang out with the Waseda students more, and one of them helped me buy my commuter pass (the way from school to my home is paid by my program and the commuter pass lets you travel that route for free as many times as you want). Even though I had more time to relax, I was super nervous meeting my host family. The dad and 5 year old son were waiting at the station for me. I don't think I even properly said my greeting but oh well. Since it was raining the host father got us a taxi to take to their apartment. The ride was a bit awkward, but I think that's inevitable. When we got to the apartment I meet my host mother there. She's pretty young (35) so it feels a bit weird to think of her as my mother. My introduction to her was also pretty awkward haha. It's hard not to be nervous when you want to make a good impression.

Once I entered the apartment I quickly was taken to my room and left alone to unpack until dinner. I thought it was a bit weird that they just left me like that, but I was able to unpack most of my things (and I also think they wanted to organize/clean some more first). I wasn't sure when to give them their omiyage (gift), so I awkwardly came out of my room to give it to them. I got chocolate for my host parents and a little train keychain for my host brother. They waited till dinner to open it, and I think they all liked their gifts, but it was kinda hard to tell. I also asked to borrow a clock/alarm clock since I didn't bring one (I though I would have my cell phone by now).

For dinner they took me to a popular izakaya. They ended up ordering so much food! Sashimi, gyoza, eggs, salad, etc, etc. We also had beer as well. I understand why I was told to prepare my liver before coming here. Drinking is a pretty big thing. During dinner we were able to talk a lot more (they said my Japanese is 上手 which means good) but I'm really not that good. For the most part we were able to understand each other (and the alcohol definitely help loosen us up).

After dinner we went to an apartment store because they wanted to buy me a futon and pillow cover. They also bought me shampoo and conditioner since I haven't had a chance yet to get real bottles. I felt bad that they paid, and tried to pay myself, but they wanted to treat me. I'm so grateful they've been so nice. It was interesting to note that both times they paid with a card. Most people use cash here, so it's rare to see someone pay with a card.

Back at home they showed me how to shower, use the internet, etc. I took a shower and then talked to my host mother a bit more. Tomorrow I had to do some important foreigner stuff, so she is going to take me to the ward office to get it done. I also watched pokemon with my little brother (who is so cute!) but he's still pretty shy around me (which is also cute). There apartment is pretty big for a Japanese apartment! There is even a balcony area too! Though construction is going on right now so I haven't gone out yet.

Although things were pretty awkward when we first met, I think I've become closer with them. It's hard right now to process it all. I can't believe i'm going to be living here for a year. It doesn't seem real. So far my family doesn't seem like a "traditional" Japanese family at all. Both the parents work at the same company. My host father has been married before and has two kids around my age (who I'll get to meet later). Remarrying isn't a huge thing here. Overall they seem like a pretty casual family. They've been using casual language with me (which I'm not sure if I should also use yet) and seem to have read my info pretty closely (since they remember I like yoga, etc.). This year may be tough, but I'm excited for it. I really hope I can become super close with my family here. I want to be a good exchange student (or whatever I am) to them. It's been hard to know what boundaries, etc. exist, but then I've only been here a day. I could say so much more but I need sleep. Pictures later!


5 件のコメント:

  1. So happy and so proud of you my beautiful daughter!

    返信削除
  2. They use informal with you because they don't really "have" to use formal, if you know what I mean. They probably want you to feel welcome, natural, etc. not like a business partner. But I would not reciprocate that gesture just yet. Stick with desu/masu for a while until you really feel like its safe.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Yeah that's what I figured. I've been trying to use desu/masu, but sometimes casual form just pops out, especially if I'm not sure what I'm saying...lol

      削除
    2. Cool way to compensate: just add んです whenever you accidently use informal and BOOM. Friendly polite.

      削除
    3. Haha, thanks! I'll have to remember that!

      削除